Butternut Squash Soup

I have been wanting to try to make this soup since my friend Alicia made it for her daughter, mom and herself a few months ago.  I have never had squash of any sort and thought that I would like it because I love pumpkin.  So I finally was able to get a copy of the recipe, which follows below, and decided that I was going to make it.  I did have to make a substitute because I didn't marjoram, I used ground sage instead.  It was a phenomianal soup.  It was thick and very sweet.  Maggie liked it and Eva won't even try it.  I also took a few pictures.



Alicia's Butternut Squash Soup

Ingredients:
6 Tablespoons chopped oinion
4 Tablespoons butter
6 cups peeled and cubed butternut squash(or 2 squashes)
3 cups water
4 cubes chicken bouillon (or 2 small cans of chicken broth)
1/2 teaspoon dreid marjoram
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1 8oz package of cream cheese

Directions:
1. I use 2 good-sized butternut squash.  Hack each one in half, scoop out the seeds, and spray with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Roast cut side down on a baking sheet in a 375 degree oven for 40-45 minutes or so.  Let it cool and then peel off the rid and cut the squash in cubes.  I usually use most of the 2 squashes, which is more than the 6 cups the recipe calls for.

2. In a large stock pot, saute onions in butter until tender.  Add squash, water, bouillon, marjoram, black pepper, cayenne pepper.  Instead of the water and bouillon, you can use chicken broth.  Bring to a boil, and cook for 15-20 minutes.

3. Turn off heat and then take a potatoe masher and smash up some of the squash cubes while it's in the pot.  Then transfer tthe squash mixture to a blender/food processor, add cream cheese cut up into chucks, and puree until smooth. You might have to do this in batches and be careful not to whip it up too much, or it gets too much air in there.  When it is all pureed put it all back into the pot.

4.  Heat it back up and stir it all together really well.  Don't let it boil again- just heat it up evenly.

5. Serve and enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Potty Training

Wicked

Newest Brinkoetter